Historical Ministry

History of Tumalo Community Church
The First Presbyterian Church of Laidlaw, Presbytery of Pendleton, Synod of Oregon, was incorporated on December 21, 1905, with the following elected trustee's names in the corporation papers: E.B. James, J.C. Tullar, and J.W. Brown.  This gave the group the authority to acquire, hold and dispose of church property for the benefit of religion, for works of charity and for public worship.  Each member of the church and renter of a pew being entitled to vote.  According to Crook County records, the Laidlaw Townsite Company on June 5, 1906, deeded to the Presbyterians, land for their church.  It was in two (2) deeds and $1 was paid for each piece of land.  W.H. Hall was in charge of construction of the building.  The lumber came from the Hightower & Smith Mill located about seven (7) miles west of town, on the Bull Creek Ditch.  Much labor was donated for the building.  The church was dedicated early May 1907.  The Reverend Jesse C. George was the first minister.  The Presbyterians and Methodists alternated having evening services and they apparently cooperated with Sunday School.  The church changed its name to the First Presbyterian Church of Tumalo in the 1920s.  On May 5, 1976, the Presbytery of the Cascades deeded the building and land to the Tumalo Community Church.  This was again in two deeds for $1 each.  The second deed stipulated that in the event the above property is no longer used as a church, then Grantee's interest shall revert to the Grantor.  This church has been used continuously since it was built and is the oldest such building in Deschutes County.  On September 13, 1981, the Deschutes County Historical Society placed a marker at the church, designating it as an historic site.

Women's Ministry

Next meeting is October 7.  We will build the shoeboxes readying them for packing in November.